Before creating or uploading products to PrestaShop, you first need to create a category tree for these products. Categories make it easier for you to organize entities into meaningful groups and represent catalog in easy-to-navigate form.
Store Manager for PrestaShop furthers preeminent PrestaShop store category tree management, incorporating wide range of operations over product categories. All the operations are displayed at category toolbar, to the left of Store Manager application or in the category context menu.
Adding Category to PrestaShop: Manual Mode
Creating new category is straightforward procedure and consists in indicating category referred information in ‘Edit Category Data’ window. To open this window, press corresponding icon on the toolbar or in the context menu.
This window incorporates fields you should fill in. Let’s have a closer look at what exactly data should be specified.
- Displayed – if this box is checked, current category will be available at the frontend. On condition that you uncheck the box for some categories they won’t be accessible to store visitors.
- Name – input name of the category you are going to add to PrestaShop category tree
- Position – define its position in category tree. In case you do not define category position, all the categories will be sorted in an alphabetical order.
- Parent Category – it’s possible to add a category as top level. In such a case you have to choose ‘Home’ option from drop-down. In the event if newly-created category should be a subcategory to certain category, select necessary one from dropdown list. Keep in mind, that PrestaShop top level categories are considered subcategories to ‘Home’.
- Description – provide category description either in visual editor or HTML editor. If you prefer adding text via HTML editor, enable it checking ‘Raw HTML Edit Mode’ box or click ‘Edit HTML’ button
- Meta title – this title will be shown on the search engines after a request is being made by web browser.
- Meta Description – description, shown in search engine results where store category page appears.
- Meta keywords – input meta keywords in this field.
- Friendly URL – you can change categories URLs in this field according to your need.
- Group Access – restrict certain category and its products from some clients (depending on user group they belong to).
In Meta tags section below you need to specify:
Having added category to PrestaShop you can load category image. Select target category from the list, go to the field below, right-click and choose ‘Assign Image’ option. Browse local folders content to find necessary image and move it to the field by simple drag and drop.
Creating PrestaShop Category Tree Through Import
Store Manager allows you to create category structure through import. Categories and subcategories of different levels can be fluently added to your store if you have them configured in .csv file. Extended tutorial on PrestaShop category tree import is available in the article – Import PrestaShop Categories
PrestaShop Category Edits
If you need to alter some category associated information, use same edit data window of Store Manager for PrestaShop. For that you need to select necessary category from the list, press ‘Edit current category’ icon on the toolbar or double click on it and modify fields required. To apply changes press Ok button on the bottom of the window.
PrestaShop Category Removing
To delist a category from the PrestaShop catalog select it and press appropriate icon on the toolbar or category context menu. Confirm deleting in the dialog box that appeared.
Refresh category list using corresponding option after changes implementation or connection switching. Moreover, there is one more way to create PrestaShop category – use copy/paste technique to derive new category. You can also move categories in the category tree using corresponding options or import/export PrestaShop category tree from/to the file via import/export wizard tool at an easy rate.
Proper category tree arranging helps your customers to quickly find desired item and narrow down the search while looking for certain products type. Use Store Manager for PrestaShop medium to flawlessly manage categories and products.