Shipping is an important part of your online business that influences shopping experience and decides whether this or that client will buy from you next time. Delivery options, rates, terms should be planned and specified carefully depending on various conditions.
In order to create PrestaShop carrier from Store Manager for PrestaShop, you need to follow step-by-step instructions covered below in this post.
1)Add PrestaShop Shipping Carrier General Specifications
PrestaShop carriers are located and handled in Administration->Carrier section of the application.
- Navigate to Administration -> Carriers and click on
'Add Carrier'button on the toolbar or context menu.
- Fill in general carrier details in Main tab of the edit form. These is general info to describe carrier.
- Company – insert name of shipper in this field. The name is public and will display for customers at the checkout. Provide meaningful title to differentiate delivery methods.
- Transit time – specify how long it will take for this carrier to bring products to customers. Customers can estimate delivery time, since it is displayed at the checkout page and decide which carrier to choose.
- Tracking URL – this field should contain URL provided by carrier for delivery tracking, for example world famous shipping service FedEX requires http://www.fedex.com/Tracking?action=track&tracknumbers=@. Symbol ‘@’ should be substituted by tracking number, customer gets after order is completed.
- Grade – this field lets evaluate delivery speed for the carrier. Insert the value from 0 (very slow) to 9 (very fast).
- Apply shipping cost – enable the checkbox if delivery cost and product additional shipping fee should be applied.
- Tax – assign tax for current PrestaShop shipping carrier if it requires local tax to ship the pack or select “No tax” if you do not need to calculate any.
- Billing – decide on billing calculation behavior. PrestaShop allows to handle billing according to order total price or total weight. If you choose According to total price shipping cost of this PrestaShop carrier will be calculated on the basis of order total. In case you prefer to differentiate cost by order weight, select According to total weight from the dropdown.
- Out-of-range behavior – on condition that no shipping cost is specified for required weight or zone, you can specify what PrestaShop will apply – the cost of highest defined range or will disable the carrier.
- Maximum package dimensions – specify maximum weight, width, depth and height admissible for this shipping carrier.
- Status – check this box to activate the carrier. In case you leave it unmarked, carrier will not show at the checkout.
2) Set Zone, Customer Group and Shop Associations
- Move to Zone tab and choose locations the carrier will deliver parcels within. If carrier does not work in some geographical regions, leave them unchecked, so customers from these areas will not see this shipping carrier in the list of available shippers.
- Set customer group associations for this carrier. If you enable groups, customers assigned to it will see the carrier in the list of available shippers. Contrariwise, if you want to disable PrestaShop shipping carrier for definite group, do not select it in this step of carrier creation.
- Move further in carrier configuration window and assign it to necessary shops.
3) Configure Ranges for Billing Cost
To change your customers for shipping, you should set price/weight ranges and specify fee for each of these ranges. Depending on billing behaviour, you have specified for carrier, add rates in Price Ranges or Weight Ranges panel.
PrestaShop shipping carrier we configure takes shipping cost depending on weight, so we add weight ranges in Store Manager.
4) Set Shipping Fees
Once you have ranges created, you can specify fees for each range and differentiate them by zones.
- Choose the carrier and hit
'Carrier Fees'option on the toolbar.
- Insert fee for each range per zone.
- Save the changes.
5) Assign Created PrestaShop Carrier to Products
Customers will be able to choose this carrier for parcel delivery, if it is assigned to ordered products. So after all the configurations are done, carrier has to be ascribed to suitable products.
Bulk carrier assign is possible from Store Manager grid or in the process of import. If you select multiple products in Store Manager, open Carriers tab in the lower grid, you will see all available shippers. Just enable the checkbox for necessary one and will be assigned to these products.
Bulk carrier assign via import is outlined in this article – Assigning Carriers to PrestaShop Products in Bulk